"People are happiest when they’re trying to reach goals that are difficult but not out of reach."
Shelly is our firm’s founder and chairman, and a pioneer in the financial services industry. In 1979, he became one of the first advisors to manage portfolios with discretion, because he believed that this approach allowed the nimble, proactive choices that could create better client outcomes. Shelly also recognized that this level of support brings great responsibility, so he has dedicated his entire career to building the client trust and industry understanding that support this honor.
Today, Shelly’s expertise and perspectives form the foundation for Altman Advisors’ work. His investment philosophy and outcome-focused approach to wealth management inform every aspect of our support. He is passionate about providing the highest level of service for each client and continually searches for new ways to help people build their desired lives and legacies.
Prior to becoming a financial advisor, Shelly designed anti-submarine torpedo testers as a Navy engineer and worked for IBM selling computers that are now at the Museum of Science in Industry in Chicago. Through these experiences, he gained analytical insight and objectivity that are invaluable to his work as our team’s leader.
Away from the office, Shelly sings in his synagogue’s choir. He and his wife Gela love dancing in their ballroom dancing club and playing with their two grandchildren Shira and Eli.
Shelly’s education and affiliations include:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois
- M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Chicago
- Certified Investment Management Analyst, CIMA® - certification from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business
- A member of the Investment Management Consulting Association (IMCA)
- Series 1, 4, 5, 40, 63, 65, AMEX Put and Call (PC) Securities Licenses
- Health, Life and Long Term Care Licenses